Re: Need a user-friendly, low-requirement desktop

Alex Malinovich wrote:

I've finally managed to get a few friends and family members with very
little computer knowledge to switch to Linux. One in particular at the
moment has me at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest.

My friend's mother is fed up with Windows 98 and wants something better.
Every time before I've had to go with a newbie-friendly GUI for people
who don't know computers and more importantly DON'T WANT TO LEARN about
them, I've gone with either a Gnome or KDE setup.

In this particular case, however, I'm dealing with a Pentium 233 MHz
with 32 MB of RAM. While I'd love to put Gnome and Nautilus on there and
call it a day, waiting 10 minutes for the desktop to load and another 2
minutes for the file-manager just won't cut it I'm afraid.

At any other time, I'd suggest one of the *box variants. But with a user
with this little knowledge and this little patience, anything that she
can't just pick up and use right away simply won't cut it. So any ideas?
(If only I could get her to learn emacs... emacs + w3m + XF86 + gnus =
perfection! :)
Here are two alternatives :

http://www.xfce.org/

http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/ROX-Filer