3com network driver

I have an AMD Athlon machine with a 3Com network card.  I first install
Debian 2.4.18-bf24 for Sid and everything worked fine.  Recently I tried
to use kernel-package to make a new 2.4.22 kernel.  I ran menuconfig and
set what I believed to be all the appropriate settings.  Under network
devices I selected the 3Com support and selected all listed drivers as
modules.

After I compiled the kernel, I installed the package and everything
worked fine, except and it's a huge exception, my 3Com network card.
When I do "dmesg" on the older kernel I see a statement for "3Com PCI
3cSOHO100-TX Hurricane" loaded in the modules.  Nothing like this is
found in the 2.4.22 kernel.  Any suggestions?