Re: root ext3 filesystem being mounted as ext2

On Monday 24 November 2003 21:44, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem I've never run into before with a system: the root
> partition is undesirably and inexplicably being mounted as ext2 during
> bootup.  I'm using kernel 2.4.20-20.8 (sorry this happens to be a Red
> Hat machine although I wish it weren't--it's outside of my control) and
> all other partitions get normally mounted as ext3 as expected.  The
> fstab for "/" reads, as so typical,
>
> 	LABEL=/		/	ext3	defaults	1 1
>
> and the filesystem appears to be attempted to be mounted as ext3 but
> then defers to ext2 with the following message:
>
> 	EXT2-fs warning (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_read_super: mounting
> 	ext3 filesystem as ext2
>
> I've looked into this quite a bit both with trying different things
> with the computer and doing searches for the above message in Google.
> Neither have paid off.  I'm getting desperate.  Any help?
>
> Paul

I remember that i had the same problem when using ext3fs as a module and no
initrd. This is because the kernel can only load the ext3 module AFTER  the
root partition is mounted and the only way to mount it is using ext2
(compatibility). Without the compabilitiy you wouldnt be able to mount your
root partition in this case. Just compile ext3fs into your kernel (doesnt
make sense to make a initrd just containing a module u need for your root
partition). Hope this helps...

Greetings
Alex