shutdown fails

Hello,

( thanks for the informations about the server debian. )

my daughter have bought a computer:

motherboard: Assus A7N8k Delux
processeur: AMD athlon 2000+
HD: 80 Gb
Graphics card: Assus V8460 Series
etc ....
I installed easily Potato on this machine (without sound and xfree yet) but
when I ran "shutdown -r now" the machine displayed the message:
state know serial drivers ....

and crashed definitively. I must stop the machine.
When I restarted the machine my file system was broken. fsck /dev/hda4 wasted
a lot of time ...and I could not repair the file system.
after shutdown -h now I got:

Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled ...

And the machine crashed definitively again.

It's an infinite loop ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Gerard