Re: Xfree86 and a Matrox G550

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 10:28, James Hosken wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has any one had experience of installing Debian with a Matrox G550 Graphics
> Card?
> I've just installed Woody and XFree86 will not work.

Lacking any information on what is going on, I may only point out the
framebuffer. Perhaps it is just me, but whenever I had troubles setting
up X, it eventually turned out that things would be fixed by either
turning the framebuffer on or off.

> I've found some drivers at matrox.com,

...which you likely don't need just yet. Or maybe not at all.
Quoting their release notes:

"Matrox PowerDesk is software to help you configure display
settings for Matrox graphics hardware under XFree86. "
 ...that is, when X is already running. It won't help you getting started.

"The Matrox HAL ("Hardware Abstraction Layer") is a special library
to enable features not supported by the standard XFree86 driver.
It's required for DualHead, TV output, and DVI support with G400-
based graphics hardware, for multi-display support with G200/G450 MMS
products, and for DVI support with G550 products. [...]
"The HAL library is not required for basic DualHead support
(without a DVI monitor) with G450- and G550-based graphics
hardware."

If neither of these is on your wish list, you don't need the HAL library.

cu,
Schnobs