Re: CTRL+ALT+Backspace will kill the X-server

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:13:08AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

   > But then it just springs back to life again, with a login prompt (at
   > least with xdm here).
   >
   > Let's pretend my monitor is being borrowed for a few days and being
   > replaced by a VT100, and I want to properly end all X processes and
   > revert to plain tty mode, without rebooting or editing any files.

If you want to temporarily disable booting to xdm on your VT100 and
revert to xdm once you get back the monitor, just disable the xdm
startup from all levels.

   # update-rc.d -f xdm remove

After you get back the monitor,

   # update-rc.d xdm defaults

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                            GPG KeyID : F0225B2C
  Fingerprint: F7CC 61A8 C6C1 D29C 2863  4E20 8A78 A19D F022

I always pass on good advice.  It is the only thing to do with it.
It is never any good to oneself.
		-- Oscar Wilde, "An Ideal Husband"