Re: window tabs with emacs 21.3.5

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:22:00PM -0600, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
> > Anyone knows if and how its possible to get tabs for the buffers in
> > emacs 21.3.5 (like the window tabs with xemacs, multi-gnome-terminal,
> > mozilla etc.)?
>
> Not quite.  I think there's some emacs lisp somewhere which gives you
> tab-like things at the top of the buffer, but I don't remember its
> name nor do I remember whether it works with Emacs 21.3.
>
> People are discussing it for future support in Emacs right now,
> though.

You could also consider using a window manager with tabs (or a similar
grouping feature). IMHO, tabs as they are used in mozilla etc. are
performing a window-management job, and as such should be handled by the
window manager. I certainly think it is a better situation for WMs to
add support for that or an equivalent mechanism than for every single
app to start adding their own tab-feature.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/