Re: Asus A7N8X Deluxe and Debian?

On 21 Nov 2003 at 2:25, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> You probably have a compiler version mismatch (i.e.,
the kernel was
> compiled with a slightly different version of gcc
than what you have
> installed.  I recommend that you just get the full
sources, customize,
> and build your kernel, then build the nForce modules
against the new
> kernel.

That could very well be the case.  I found more
instructions on nVidia's site that I overlooked
before, and made the following additions to
/etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 nvnet
alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
alias usb-interface usb-ohci

Then I went to the nforce directory and did make
uninstall followed by make and make install.

After that, I tried modprobe nvnet, and got this
error:

kernel-module version mismatch
nvnet.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.18
while this kernel is version 2.4.18-bf2.4

And to make matters worse, the info on nVidia's GART
patch says that it requires kernel
2.4.20, so this sounds like if I want to have my
ethernet, sound, and usb, I will have to do
without the AGP capabilities on the motherboard, since
that requires a different kernel than
the others.

> This is an excellent guide to got you started:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Hopefully it won't come to that though.  Sadly, I took
a look through those instructions and
found myself rather overwhelmed (time to go take an
Ibuprofen and read through them
again...)