Re: X Won't Start

Mark Healey wrote:
I previously posted this under a different subject heading and got no response so I'm trying again.

My X won't work with the default installation.  When I boot it tries
to start it and after several attempts I get a message telling me to
look at the log followed by one asking if I want to try automatic
configuration.  I did that and nothing changed.

Someone Suggested that I boot knoppix and copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
from there to my hd and reboot.  I did that.  X started but with no
mouse movement.  Just a cursor.

I have no idea where to go from here.

Sure you do. Go with the Knoppix XF86Config-4 and change the pointer section until the mouse works.

Have you ever got X to work with a Linux distrib?

Hugo.