Re: Permissions Issue

on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:03:45AM -0800, Jeffrey W. Pearson (jeffreywpearson@sbcglobal.net) wrote:
> Im running Apache on Debian and hosting a site for a friend. He needed
> the ability to ftp files directly onto the server. So what I did was
> to add him as a user and mapped the web sites' directory to his home
> directory. Now when he modifies or adds a new file and tries to view
> it, he gets an error saying he is forbidden from viewing it in his
> browser. I know its a permissions thing but not sure what to
> tweak......
>
> Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

He needs to set permissions (or you need to set file mask) on the
directory to ensure world read permissions on his website files.  "chmod
0644" will do this.  Most FTP clients support this operation.

Better for you:  install ftp-ssl, or have your friend use sftp, ssh, or
rsync-over-ssh, if possible.  The last is especially neat over a slow
link, as it only transfers the parts of files that have changed, for
files that have changed.

Peace.

    I managed to love simultaneously -- and this is not easy -- women
    and justice.
    -- Albert Camus, _The Fall_