From: ben_foley@web.de [mailto:ben_foley@web.de]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 7:11 AM
To: smittysworld@bellsouth.net; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: how can I change the language from the prompt(loadkeys
doesn't work)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:04:10 -0500
<smittysworld@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hey Ben...this is a Japanese laptop that requires a Japanese Debian
> install...so yes it's all in Japanese the whole distro. After I load
> the rescue and root floppies I can get a terminal that has an english
> prompt but, once I run fdisk it's all in Japanese.  Once I get the
> boot: prompt I can enter various arguements, but I can't find any to
> turn load a certain keyboard set before I install. There is a screen
> on the English version that lets you choose the language. I can't find
> it on the Japanese one. You understand my dilema now ??
>
> Smitty

okay, first, a couple of general points: it's not good form or even
practical to respond to individual addresses of the list, unless they
specifically request that.  in your interest, the benefit to keeping it
all on the list is that you get generally get more possible solutions
because the discussion of the problem is open to wider participation. in
the interest of those to whom you respond, we don't end up with
debian-related mail flopping around outside the space we've set up for
it. another point is that, for the sake of maintaining an easily
readable sequence, don't top post. whatever is added to the discussion
should appear at the end of the mail, not at the top. when some previous
points have become redundant to the discussion, it's okay to snip them
out, though only to the extent that there's enough of the original left
as a reference to the context of what you're adding.

alright, as to the japanese laptop issue. i don't understand why you
should be compelled to use japanese install disks, particularly since
you don't appear to be sufficiently proficient in the language to get
through fdisk. neither am i, and i also have a japanese laptop, complete
with a japanese character keyboard (along with roman characters, on each
key). i don't speak a word of the language, have no need to, but
inherited this machine from someone who did--still does, as a matter of
fact. i'm telling you all this to assure you that you don't _need_ to
use japanese install disks simply because you have a japanese laptop.

in event that there is some further condition that i'm still not getting
that would prove me wrong, let me know--but on the list. don't even cc:
to me. i read the list. okay?

ben