Re: Which backup prog? - load

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

> I am backing up a Linux workstation/server, two Linux servers, a Linux
> laptop, and a Windows 98 desktop over a 100Mbps Ethernet network to a
> Seagate TR-5 (AKA NS20) IDE Travan drive.  Full backups take 3-3.5
> hours and take one tape (i.e., run unattended).  Daily runs are at
> 3am.  Load on the backup server is significant during backups.  The
> load on the clients is noticeable, but not severe.  I can play Quake
> III on the server until it actually starts writing to tape.  Having a
> big disk buffer space available helps.

load should NOT even be noticable on backups ...
( tapes are super slow devices compared to other stuff the cpu does

- but than again, how fast is the cpu/disk/ememory on that "backup server"
  ??  - sounds like a normal box if you're playing quake on it

i think its noticeable due to travan not running at full speed ??

did you buffer up data in the queue ??

find /etc -print | egrep -iv stuff-you-dont-want | buffer | \
	tar zcvf /dev/tape -T -

	buffering your data will speed up the tape writes

which backup prog ... pick your choice ( all free )
	http://www.Linux-Backup.net/app.gwif.html

c ya
alvin