Re: configuring dial on demand ppp

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 21:33, Nathan wrote:
> I recently appointed myself computer person at the local teen center.
> Unfortunately, things aren't going as well as I would like. I've managed
> to configure so that the modem will now dial in and send the password,
> but things still die off before the line is fully up.
> My vision is a setup in which anyone only has to ping (http get,
> whatever) the outside world and the (debian) gateway will see that and
> bring up the ppp connection. My two questions are: Is it possible for me
> to do this (and do I really want to) and how would you all go about
> setting things up? I have the 7-cd Woody disks as my install resource,
> at least until the modem is working.

The package you need for automatic dial on demand is diald.

To find out why ppp is failing to make a connection, you need to turn on
debugging and examine the logs to see what is happening.

I don't use this set up any longer, but I made some pages (six years
ago) about how to configure it back when I did set it up, and they may
be helpful to you.  Let me know if they have become too out of date; if
so I will delete them:  http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver/linux.ppp.html

For automatic gatewaying for other machines you need NAT (Network
Address Translation) included in your gateway's kernel, either built in
or as modules.

     "A Song for the sabbath day. It is a good thing to
      give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto
      thy name, O most High."   Psalms 92:1