Which backup prog?

I have a new LTO-2 drive here, a 400 Gb capacity, and the challenge
to design a backup algorithm for a mission-critical groupware
server. This is a single system, so no network backup...

I have 10 tapes and was thinking of doing weekly full backups and
daily incremental snapshots. This will keep backups around for 10
weeks, and we could get a new tap each month to keep one around from
the past. Of course, I would be happy for advice from more
experience here.

My main question is: which software to use.

tar will take ages to do incremental and won't be able to do so
without enough scratch space.

taper seems way too interactive.

amanda seems to be able to do it all, but it's highly complex.

afbackup also seems to be able to do it all, but it's very complex
too.

I also have netvault, but the installation already filled me with
anger, and I hate commercial software.

So I appreciate any thoughts. Are there documents comparing amanda
and afbackup? Which one would you recommend?

And are there any other invaluable hints you might want to offer?

--
Martin F. Krafft                Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D. Student                   Department of Information Technology

it said "needs windoze 98 or better," so i installed linux.