Re: More apt-preferences

> So I now have as only entry in my /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: origin schuldei.org
> Pin-Priority: 999
>
> Rationale: the man-page says about origin "fully qualified domain" and
> "debian.org" is really "www.debian.org" so I did the same for
> schuldei.org which is really "www.schuldei.org".
>
> In any case: I ran apt-get update on the sources list and I would
expect
> that "apt-cache policy x-window-system" would show something of the
> preferences. It does not. It shows:
>
> x-window-system:
>    Installed: 4.3.0-0pre1v3
>    Candidate: 4.3.0-0pre1v3
>    Version Table:
>   *** 4.3.0-0pre1v3 0
>          500 http://www.schuldei.org ./ Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>       4.2.1-12.1 0
>          500 http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de testing/main Packages
>
> Shouln't I see something of what I put in the preferences? Or not?

Okay, I looked back at this.  Sure enough, the "origin" Pin does seem to
want the FQDN, not just the suffix.  Or at least, that's the way the
output of apt-cache policy makes it look... although I think the Pin
still works.  Oh well, add it to the list of APT mysteries.  Try it out
and see if it works for you.

(Tip: I use apt-cache policy and apt-cache search so often, I gave them
shell aliases:

alias acp='apt-cache policy'
alias acs='apt-cache search'

Also