Re: xinetd

Hello Tom!

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:46:04PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
I was playing with xinetd on another distro and decided that I kind of liked it and wanted to install it onto my debian distro.

Well, I wouldn't like to miss its extended features either.

I was a little surprised to find that I could not then remove the inetd package.

Some rather old issue, see

Does this mean that I have both 'super servers' installed at once?

Installed: yes, run: no.

Isn't there some way to remove this?

xinetd will divert netkit-inetd so only xinetd will be run:
fernst@live:~$ ps aux | grep [i]net
root      1240  0.0  0.0  2112  172 ?        S    Nov05   0:00
/usr/sbin/xinetd -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid -inetd_compat
fernst@live:~$ dpkg -l '*inet*' | grep ^ii
ii  netkit-inetd   0.10-9         The Internet Superserver
ii  xinetd         2.3.12-2       replacement for inetd with many
enhancements

Just install xinetd (it will be the only superserver to be run) adjust
your config (you will be prompted to do so) and enjoy.

HTH,
Flo