Re: Faked Browser with Mozilla Firebird

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 11:42:06AM -0800, Martin J. Hillyer wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 05:40:20PM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> > * Paul E Condon <pecondon@peakpeak.com> [031115 17:30]:
> > >
> > > But I can't find the place to change UserAgentString in Mfirebird.
> > > Where is it?
> >
> > I think it's one of the extensions you can download and install.
> >
> > --
> > Lance Simmons
>
> Right.  Go to Tools-Options and click on Extensions.  Then click on
> the link to "Get New Extensions".  You'll get a list, and you can
> choose User Agent Switcher.  There are 119 extensions in my version
> 0.6.1 from testing.  Fun for hours!

I should have mentioned that this extension comes preconfigured with
extensions for plain Mozilla (it shows Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
i686; en-US; rv:1.5a), Gecko (Gecko/20030922) and Mfirebird (Mozilla
Firebird/0.6.1).  I figured that amazon was looking for either
IE-something or Netscape/Mozilla.  Whatever, changing to Mozilla
worked.  You could probably get the UAString for IE from a Windoze
machine somewhere (or perhaps from Opera) if Mozilla doesn't work for
you.  But if this gets it working I'd encourage you to follow
Karsten's suggestion and try to get the owners of the site to change
their habits.

Incidentally, I've received two answers from amazon after I mailed
them suggesting they stop this pernicious practise:  the first said
"...If you cannot remember the password needed to access the
account...".  I immediately mailed back that they obviously hadn't
really read my message, and then received another reply saying in part
"...Further, I have reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and
I offer my sincere apologies for any misunderstanding thus far.  I
will be sure to pass your message on to the appropriate department in
our company for consideration.  Customer feedback like yours is very
important in helping us continue to improve the selection and service
we provide..."

I've always found that amazon is very responsive (eg, when I called
the customer service line a clueful tech [from Tacoma] answered within
20 seconds.  He even asked me which Linux distro I was running :-)) in
dealing with suggestions so I'm hopeful they will actually change
their ways.

--
Martin Hillyer                                      |   -o)