Re: How to use ssh tunnel to reach a machine on a private network?

Oliver Elphick wrote:
On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 01:30, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

Oliver Elphick wrote:

What I am trying to do is to use ssh tunnelling to go direct to one of
the machines on the remote private network, because I need to be able to
run X programs from that machine on my own display.

I do this all the time.

joe@bill$ ssh -L 10001:localhost:10001 ted.domain.com
joe@ted$ ssh -L 10001:localhost:5901 rufus.domain.com
joe@rufus$

Thank you; that is what I needed.

Adjust port numbers and options as necessary.

Are the port numbers just arbitrary selections?

Except for the last port on the destination machine--which needs to be
the port your service is listening on (vnc or X), yes.

In my case, to get a vnc desktop, I setup the tunnel and then run
$ vncviewer localhost:10001

I choose 10001 because the machine I vnc into runs webmin (which is
port 10000).

-Roberto