computer won't boot now

Hi,

I was installing debian on a new laptop yesterday and, briefly, the
computer now will not boot into anything - not Lilo (which I'd installed
in the MBR and was choosing betweenn debian and Windows 2000) and not even
the BIOS setup. If anyone could help me reverse this situation I would be
very grateful.  I would happily start again from scratch with both OSs if
I could get the bootable CDs to boot.

Thanks and help!!!,

Dan

More details:

The situation seems rather erratic. Most frequently the screen displays
absolutely nothing on powering up. Occasionally a blinking cursor,
occasionally it hangs with the intel picture. Once (after being left a
couple of hours(!?)) it went through a period of great achievement and got
to Lilo twice in a row. The first time I tried to boot Debian and got to
the network configuration steps (I had got neither my ethernet nor my
video card working, but those problems seem rather trivial now...). On
entering my subnet mask it immediately powered down without warning. Then
I tried to boot Windows2000 which failed saying that it was missing
root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. That was last night, this morning nothing
better than the blinking cursor and intel screen.

Even more details:
I had got both operating systems working, but decided to reinstall
Linux (which I was doing just by following the debian CD from the
beginning again). It did the totally blank screen thing once before I
started the reinstallation, but on powering down and then up it
worked and I decided to forget about it. The hard drive is partitioned
like this:

hda1	 	primary	NTFS Windows2000 	3150 MB
hda4	boot	primary	Linux			45354 MB
hda3		primary	Linux Swap		1019 MB
hda2		primary FAT32 for sharing	10487

I am installing debian from a downloaded NONUS .iso image.
As I said, I had put LILO in the MBR (my mistake?). I have no floppy
drive.

Dan Davison
davisonATuchicago.edu
http://home.uchicago.edu/~davison/