Re: window manager recomendation

Quoting Tom <tb.31112.nospam@comcast.net>:

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 11:41:44AM +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:32:38PM -0500, Bill Marcum wrote:
> > > Some other small window managers are aewm, aewm++ and flwm.  (What is
> > > Installed-Size anyway?)
> >
> > It is a field for the debian package, representing disk space used when
> > the package is unpacked. It provides a rough idea of how much memory the
> > program will use, too - although it isn't a good idea to rely on it for
> > anything important. (it isn't accurate at all)
>
> Does binary size really indicate how much memory will be used?
> It's easy for a tiny program to allocate gobs of memory.

Its not a very good indication, but in context it can imply how complex a
program is and give an extimate of order of magnitued.
It does have to be taken in context though with respect to what the program
does.
For window managers size is usually also related to graphical complexity and
thus give some rough estimate, although you need to take into account the
toolkit used and thus external libraries, dependencies.
Also as an example take fvwm which can be started up with vector buttons and
minimal decorations and take very little memory or with pixmaps all over and
all sorts of plugins and probably be the usuall memory hog (Allthough I guess
not nearly as close as kde and gnome ;-)