Messed Up Console Dialogs

I'm trying to get a mouse wheel to work in XWindows on a potato box and
causing colateral damage at the same time. :-)

Noticing there was not XF86Config-4 file, I ran dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 and when it asked if I wanted the config file handled by
debconf, I said yes. It was working great until I got to the part for
selecting monitor settings - I chose simple. At that point it just sat
there with a blank blue screen. Finally I Ctrl-C'd out of there and
tried to start over.

Now though, a dpkg-reconfigure on anything that gives a dialog based
prompt of that sort simply hangs with a blue screen - never showing the
options or what it's doing. If I Ctrl-C out of it, it will then show a
white box inside the blue screen with some text for the title, but it
still doesn't show me what the options where, and obviously I'm back at
the command line so I can't try and select any options.

Does anyone know where I might start to resolve this and get back to
working on the mouse wheel?

TIA,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Microsoft has combined the strengths of its three most powerful
operating systems to create its next generation operating system:
Windows CE+ME+NT

As hard as a rock and as dumb as a brick!
http://www.6texans.net/img/msc.jpg