basic font question

Hi,

I am trying to display correctly a UTF-8 encoded file
in Gnumeric.

I have managed to get Gnumeric to open this file, but
some of the characters (notably the phonetics symbols)
are not displayed, regardless on the font I choose
from Gnumeric drop-down font selector. The same
problem occurs if I open the file in abiword.

Other X applications (such as emacs) can display all
the characters in the file with the standard font
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-*-*-*-c-70-iso8859-1.
So I have concluded it is not an X windows problem. Am
I right?

My question, how do I make Gnumeric use this font?

I am running -

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody) with Gnome 2.2 backport
Xfree86 4.2.1
Gnumeric 1.2.1

Regards
Shane