looking for Knotes type application

I don't use either the Gnome or the KDE desktops (just Blackbox, plus
whatever apps I need).

I find Knotes a very useful app, but it seems to use rather a lot of
memory for what it does (in terms of how I use it - mostly as a storage
space for copying and pasting between apps).  If I've understood top
correctly it takes about 30MB, about 5 times more than Bluefish.

Is there a similar stand-alone application, preferably gtk-based, that
will provide me with similar functionality, but that is more economical?
I've Googled till I'm blue in the face, but can't find anything.  There's
a similar Gnome applet, but it seems that won't work on a stand-alone
basis, or at least I couldn't get it to.

Thanks,
-Richard.
--
Richard Kimber