a2ps and page size -- driving me nuts!

Help!

I am trying to use a2ps to print 2 pages onto one. Very simple:

  a2ps -2 file.ps

The paper is A4, libpaper is configured for A4, --medium=libpaper
is set, but the following problem prevails even if I set
--medium=a4. A4 is described as "Medium: A4      595     842",
basically it's all out of the box Debian without any changes.

When I print file.ps as I said above, it comes out unacceptably. The
odd pages (left part of the output page) are perfect, but the right
part (the even pages) are cut off. The width of the left page is
about 143mm, the right page is only 126mm. I am printing the
borders, and these widths are the spacings between the borders. So,
with ASCII art, it looks like this:

  <--------------143mm------------><--------126mm---------->
  | text text text text text text || text text text text te|
  | text text text text text text || text text text text te|
  | text text text text text text || text text text text te|
  | text text text text text text || text text text text te|

It does seem like the printer (LJ 2200dn) has an exceptionally huge
top margin, but should that really affect the borders in this way?
I also tried to increase the LLY (top) border of the medium (c.f.
A4dj) from 24 to 50, but that changed nothing in the output.

I am confused. How can I print the two subpages qith equal width, so
that they fill the printable area on the sheet?

Thanks,

`. `'`