Re: New user help...

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 08:49, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> I feel like RedHat has sold out on me as a paying customer, so I'm
> looking at Debian.  I've run into a few problems, though...
> Second, I tried 'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-586'.  I got the
> new kernel installed and running (which nicely took care of the above
> problem), but it didn't come with pcmcia modules so now I have no
> network.  Are those in another package?

kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-586tsc

Hint: look at http://packages.debian.org

> Third, to see if apt-get is as easy as everyone says, I did 'apt-get
> install xfce'.  It downloaded all the dependencies, or so it says...
> but when I run startxfce, it bombs because it can't find 'xinit'.
> What am I missing?

Install x-window-system.  xfce depends on xlibs, but since X is client
server, installing a package that uses X does not automatically install
the whole X system; it could be using a display on a different machine.
There might not even be a display on the local machine.

     "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not
      worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more
      than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not
      his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of
      me."                   Matthew 10:37,38