Re: freelance sysadmining - $50k [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 07:07:19PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Tom wrote:

> > > and even highter ... try $50,000/yr with no minimum gurantee of anything
> >
> > $50,000 / 2000hrs/year = $25/hr thank you drive through :-)
>
> good point, except its 24x7 coverage from them, so its more like $8/hr ...

Yeah, but if your $50,000/yr client only needs 50 hours of actual
service during that year, then it's a grand an hour.
All of a sudden, it doesn't sound too hard to undercut that.

Then again, these numbers look like they come from the world of selling
solutions to businesses, which is really not what the questions being
asked on this thread are about.

Plunk your average PC-owning end-user down in front of woody + KDE3 +
OO.o + recent Mozilla, and their maintenance needs are likely to go
about as far as ssh-ing in to their box and running an apt-get update
when security fixes come out.
Charge a couple of hundred bucks a year for that and it's well into the
black.

Might make sense to have several levels of service.
(Please note that I'm thinking in Canadian dollars, but these are
wild-ass-guess numbers anyway)
-  Routine patches:  $50/year
-  Patches + version upgrades + up to n hours of other work that can be
   done over ssh:  $200/year ... or maybe $n*100/year
-  House calls extra (but discounted if you're on a plan)
-  Maybe offer the "insurance" plan including coverage of ID10T errors
   for quite a lot more per year
   (not necessary if you go with the $n*100/year formula I guess)
-  Maybe cover additional machines in same household for a discounted
   rate?  Home LAN packages with file- and printer-sharing?

	Cheers!
--