Re: Definitive HOWTO use truetype fonts on a Network

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 05:30:12PM -0800, Daniel Miller wrote:
> What's the best way to do this?  It seems to me using a central XFS type
> font server provides the most efficient X-server displays - but then
> these fonts appear unavailable to OpenOffice.

Correct, because OpenOffice couldn't care less about your X fonts, and uses
fontconfig, which requires a local font repository (I presume you could
mount one via NFS... that would get interesting).

XFS will work fine for sharing X fonts to applications that don't support
fontconfig.  I imagine that any local Xft1-using applications will happily
use it as well.  It's the Xft2 applications you're going to have a problem
with.

--
 Marc Wilson |     "Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion."
 msw@cox.net |     -- Harlan Ellison