Re: something wrong with kernel source 2.4.22?

 --- mbc <mbc@debian.org> wrote: > * Please reply to
me as I'm not on this list *

> Hi. So, I'm trying to build a kernel so that I can
> compile some modules
> I need for my wireless card to work. I want to
> disable modversions in my
> kernel so that the madwifi modules and the bcm4400
> module won't complain
> about unresolved symbols just because of name
> mangling.
>
> I've encountered major problems trying to build a
> kernel with the
> 2.4.22-3 source.
>
> First, I tried copying /boot/config-2.4.22-1-686 to
> /usr/src/linux/.config then doing make mrproper &&
> make oldconfig &&
> make dep && make bzImage && make install && make
> modules && make
> modules_install. After doing this, and updating lilo
> and rebooting, the
> boot fails saying that it can't open
> /lib/modules/2.4.22/modules.dep. I
> checked, and that file is both present and up to
> date.
>
> Second, I tried copying the config to /usr/src/linux
> again, and using
> kernel package, so I did make-kpkg clean and then
> make-kpkg
> --revision=mbc2.4.22 kernel_image. The resulting
> kernel package only
> contained the modules and the documentation, but no
> bzImage.
>
> Am I totally missing something here or is the recent
> source package just
> broken?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been
> trying to do this
> for 3 days now so that I can install debian on my
> laptop. Without
> network access, thats rather hard. I've built
> kernels before. I even
> built the lindows kernel debian packages. But right
> now I'm having a
> hard time .
>
> Thank You,
>
>  michael

There are no problems with the kernel source; I've had
no problems upgrading a kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.22

Once you've linked the source dir to the dir linux run
'make-kpkg clean' in /usr/src/linux, copy the old
config to /usr/src/linux/.config, run 'make oldconfig'
then 'make-kpkg --append-to-version=.my_kernel
kernel_image'.

You might want to look at using 'make xconfig' to get
pop up a GUI to help with the configuration, though
the benefit 'make oldconfig' is that it only troubles
you with the new options.

Hope this helps.