Re: hdparm dma not working

hiya joel

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

> Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> >> --
> >> # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
> >>
> >> /dev/hdc:
> >>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> >>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> >>  using_dma    =  0 (off)
> >> #
> >> --
>  >
> > What version of hdparm are you using?  What version of Debian?
> > What make and model is the drive?  What mobo/chipset do you have?
>
> hdparm 4.5-1.2
> Debian 3.0r1
> Fujitsu MHT2060AT
> Kernel 2.4.22 compiled from official Debian sources
>
> Anyone know how to find out my chipset from Dell? They don't seem to be
> very forthcoming...

not surprising...

when your system boots... watch very carefully, all the boot up messages
that is flyig by ...

	- you will see the ide chipset it found ...
	- you will see the partition tables
	- you will see the ethernet drivers

once you know what part number ( chipset ) it uses for the ide controller,
go and find the nearest looking similar kernel driver for that chipset

	insmod  /lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/block/that-ide-chipset.o
		( if it complains about kernel version numbers, you will
		( need to make your own kernel

	hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

c ya
alvin