modutils (was:Configuring AC97 sound)

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 00:27, Lynn W. wrote:
> No annoyance at all :)
> Vaguely--I think the commands you describe relate to displaying the
> modules and setting them up to be used/recognized? My question is
> probably more along the lines of where do I get these?

Get them? You don't need to get them -- every home should have them.
The package they are in is called 'modutils', and if I'm not completely
mistaken it needs massive tampering to install Debian without getting
modutils as part of the deal.

The same with the loadable kernel modules (aka device driver modules):
the kernel comes together with the modules, you will find them under
/lib/modules/<kernel-version-nuber>/kernel/...

As for kernel versions... it won't hurt at all to install a slightly
newer version. You don't need to start from scratch. Start dselect (or
preferably aptitude), look for 'kernel-image' and pick the one that
suits you best.

cu,
Schnobs