Re: hardware detection on i386

Ron Johnson wrote:

For my needs and from my experiences, Debian makes for a better
mission-critical server than does SuSE.  As for the desktop it can be well
argued that once configured it doesn't really change (and hence no need
for really cool hdwe detection tools).
But I'm very curious if the hardware detection/configuration process has
made any headway.

You may want to check out http://www.libranet.com.  The previous
version is available for free download, and an apt-get upgrade will
bring you to sarge/sid.

Very impressive!
Thank you for the suggestion!

I think it took me about 8 minutes to install and now I'm doing the apt-get upgrade cycle. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Next I will play with Knoppix and see what happens with that.

I'm hoping for something where I can get the minimum done as easily as possible and then configure the software from there.
I tend to run a lean system with only windowmaker for my WM.
Makes for a very responsive machine in X-windows.
Excellent for a server.

PS - woody, not sarge is in the "free" build.
I think thats -stable.