running ssh session and init 1

Hi,

yesterday i needed to enlarge (hope this doesn't trigger a spam filter
somewhere :) ) my LVM partition on my server so i went to init 1,
umounted the partition, enlarged it, and so on. But off course, going to
init 1 will stop the networking and thus will stop a running ssh
session. No problem for me since my server is in the same room as my
workstation but it would be a problem if the server was far away.
Is there a way to do these sort of things over ssh?
Any creative solutions to this?

Thanks,
Benedict