EpoX board + nvidia nforce2 chipset + DMA for EIDE controller

Does anyone know the story on EIDE DMA support on nvidia nforce2 boards ?

I saw a kernel patch for this on the internet, but I'm just curious
if anyone has tried it ?

I am "stuck" using kernel 2.4.17 right now, so I am having to just go
with the vesa video driver (I'm not a big gamer anyways).
Fortunately the NIC and sound drivers compile for 2.4.17 w/o a problem.

I'm stuck w/ 2.4.17 because I can't get my ppdd encryption patch to work
with any later kernels. (I usually just give up if I get any rejects at
all, as I totally don't have any idea what I'm doing).

Any patches you would advice for this board to get it up to speed ?

My dmesg gives me something about the IDE controller not being
recognized. Should I just not worry about it ? Nothing bad has happened
yet, knock on wood. Except I occationally get a "spurious #$%@#@ IRQ 7".