Re: parted: "rather strange layout"

On Monday 03 November 2003 23:10, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I partitioned my new disk with parted. Runs great.
>
> However, when I run parted on it now he comes up with:
>
> No Implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout!
> Parted can't resize this (yet).

I'm interested in this too, so I went looking a bit, and there are many
people citing this message in the parted mailing list archives, but
AFAICS no responses.

> So you can do anything else, no resizing.

Yeah, well, I don't know if that is exactly the point, but according to
the GNU parted homepage, parted can only resize ext2, ext3 and reiserFS
partitions if the starting point remains fixed... I guess that's rarely
very useful, because in many cases, there is another partition
immediately following the first partition... That's how it is in my
case anyway.

There are probably intentions of fixing this some time, but right now,
it seems like the only thing those of us who are not great hackers can
do is wait patiently.

Best,

Kjetil
--