Re: Using an IDE CD-writer via scsi emulation

Hello Otto,

I don't know how much this will help, but these are the exact steps I
used to get my IDE CDRW working in debian... maybe you can run down
these step again and see whether you missed anything?

1) Add SCSI Emulation support by running 'modconf' and selecting the
'ide-scsi' module
2) Add 'append="hdc=ide-scsi"' to the correct kernel image section
under the Kernel Command line options in lilo.conf
e.g. image=/vmlinuz
     label=Linux
     read-only
     append="hdc=ide-scsi"
3) Run 'lilo' to verify lilo.conf settings and to effect changes
4) Reboot and verify that /dev/scd0 can be mounted.
5) Change fstab to mount /dev/scd0 instead of the typical mount point
for the CDRW

Monday, November 10, 2003, 4:53:51 AM, you wrote:
OW> I knew I could read and write CD's on my system but I lost it during my
OW> upgrades about a year ago. I remember when I switched the system I
OW> couldn't write CD and I had documented the "hdd=ide-scsi". But after
OW> changeing lilo.conf I can't read CD's anymore. So I looked into the
OW> CD-Writing-Howto but it didn't help.

OW> When I try to mount a CD it complains scd0 isn't a block device. And it
OW> neither works with the old link of cdrom->hdd. I also remember the
OW> solution I had before didn't need to change the link I always used
cdrom->>hdd.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:sdchew@ieee.org