Re: sid - loop of breakage - please help!

Joanne Valentine-Cooper wrote:

Okay.

On the 1st of November, I ran an apt-get upgrade for the first time since
October 26th (yay for apt-listchanges and emailing changelogs!). Around this
time, dpkg and libc6 were both updated to verisons 1.10.18 and 2.3.2.ds1-8
respectively.

My next update was on November 4. Neither of these packages were updated,
but several others were; this went without a hitch.

Now, since then, there's a new version of libc6 out. dpkg segfaults every
time I try to install this package - or any other libc6 package I've tried,
for that matter.

This creates a MASSIVELY ugly endless loop:

1) packages refuse to upgrade because the libc6 install is broken.
2) Can't downgrade libc6, 'cause it's broken.
3) Can't downgrade dpkg, 'cause dpkg pre-depends on libc6, which is broken.
4) Can't force a reinstall, 'cause libc6 is broken.
5) Can't dpkg --configure -a successfully, because libc6-dev and locales are
messed up from libc6 being broken.

Anybody know of any way to break the loop? (I can't build a static dpkg,
'cause that requires a few packages I don't have, and the loop prevents
installation of those packages...)

There may have been an easier solution but I ended up booting Knoppix,
saving my /etc directory and rebuilding my system.

Paul Scott