/etc/profile not being read for gnome

It seems that /etc/profile is being completely disregarded by Gnome. I
noticed a DefaultPath setting in gdm.conf, but the comment above it
mentioned that this will probably be overridden by the profile PATH.
Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the case. I could have sworn
that I had found a way around this before, but having lost my hard drive
last week and installing from scratch, I don't really remember what I
had to do. :)
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837