Re: XMMS without X?

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 04:14:51PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 04:02:07PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> > I use xmms, xmms-flac, and xmms-shell with some custom scripts.  I do
> > all my interacting with xmms via the command line.  (I've never
> > understood why every SOUND PLAYER in the world had to get mixed up with
> > showing flashy colors to the music or drawing dumb bitmaps on their U/I.
> > Must be a penis thing.)
> >
> > Anyway, it bugs me to have my music stop when I leave X.  Is there way
> > to run XMMS without X?  Something in the spirit of abcde (the coolest
> > wrapper in the world)?
>
> Der, um, I forgot about mplayer.  I guess it could become my main music
> player, but I never thought of it like that.  Damn I wish it was DFSG.

Is this because you wish there was a Debian package or because it
bothers your conscience to use a non DFSG application. If the first
case, then don't feel bad as it's pretty easy to build and there are
sources of unofficial debs. If the second don't feel so bad because the
code is pretty much GPL'd, minus extra proprietary plugins and patent
violations :)

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>