Problems with php4 and testing?

I'm trying to install php4 on a new install of Sarge and I'm having no
luck.  I'm using UML, so it's possible that has an effect.

In particular, the error I'm getting is:

PHP Fatal error:  Unable to start session mm module in Unknown on line 0

I've tried all the things that people have mentioned in previous
postings (that I could find on Google), including editing php.ini to use
files, looking for the session file, and increasing shared memory by
issuing:

echo "33554432" > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

So far, nothing has worked. Has anyone else run into this? Any
suggestions?

Thanks!

Jen