Re: Can't build X (unstable and experimental)

csj <csj@zapo.net> writes:

> I can't build either the unstable or experimental versions of
> Debian's xfree86 packages (4.2 and 4.3).  The build ends with the
> following error messages:

Why are you building X?  Which X?  And how?

My general recommendation, if you need XFree86 4.3 for hardware
support, is to download the binary .tar.gz files for the X server only
from xfree86.org, and unpack them somewhere like /usr/local where the
Debian package management system won't step on them.  Configure this X
and set the /etc/X11/X symlink to point to /usr/local/bin/XFree86.
IIRC, the two tarballs you want are Xxserv.tgz and Xmod.tgz.

If you don't want to do that, there are several backports of XFree86
4.3 out there to your favorite (stable-or-newer) Debian distribution;
see http://www.apt-get.org/ for details.

> #BEGIN STDERR
> lnx_io.c: In function `KDKBDREP_ioctl_ok':
> lnx_io.c:90: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> lnx_io.c:98: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> lnx_io.c:100: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> lnx_io.c:101: error: structure has no member named `rate'
> lnx_io.c:102: error: structure has no member named `rate'

...but if you really did want to track this down, look at the
referenced line number, find the type of the structure that's being
referenced, and figure out where that structure comes from.  If it
randomly started losing on unstable in the past week, it's possible
that the source is directly depending on a <linux/something.h> header,
but those headers changed from a 2.4.mumble kernel to a 2.6.0.mumble
kernel recently.

	-- Abra Mitchell