Re: UUCP & Usenet (was Re: NTP packages (was: setting hardware clock from NIST))

Ron Johnson wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > In the beginning systems were isolated.  There was no net.  Then UUCP
> > brought light unto the darkness.  This was called USENET and we saw
>
> ????
>
> I thought that "Unix-Unix cp" was for, well, copying files, of which
> Usenet files were only a subset?

UUCP enabled mail and news which IMNHO were the foundation for USENET.
The underlying foundation to both mail and news is to be able to copy
files between systems.  UUCP was a reasonable networking technology
back in the day.  If you can copy data then you can implement
anything[1].

Until you start networking you don't really care what time systems are
keeping.  How many people ever reset the time on their watch while
getting away from it all camping?  It is only in interaction that good
time keeping was important.  How many times do you see people post
messages here with bad system times and the comments that produces
from the readers?  USENET provided a way for people to flame^Winteract
with others.  But of course it was only part of it.

Bob

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2549.html