Re: Separate /home drive?

Hello

David Palmer. (<davidpalmer@westnet.com.au>) wrote:

> I've been reading different partitioning howtos but can't find any
> reference to a situation I thought I would like to install.
> It's probably a newbie idea, but I wondered if it would be possible to
> have system partitions on one drive, and posting to /home on another.

Yes, it is possible. If you do not yet have installed Debian, create the
two partitions (you can do this during the installation). Next format
and mount them. The installation program lets you choose where you want
to mount your partitions, choose /home for the home partition.

If you already have installed Debian, create a new partition, format it
(for example with mke2fs if you want to use ext2 or ext3). Next, mount
it somewhere, move your stuff from /home to the new partition (/don't/
move the home dir itself there, only it's contents), unmount it and
remount it in /home. Now all you have to do is to add a line to your
fstab to have it mounted at boottime automatically.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen