Re: linux-kernel-headers foul-up [RESOLVED]

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 00:33:14 +0000,
Colin Watson wrote:

[...]

> > > Applications that need kernel headers should make and use
> > > sanitized private copies of the relevant interfaces in
> > > kernel headers. They should never care about what happens
> > > to be in /usr/include/{linux,asm}.
> >
> > OK.  A newbieish compile question: how do I point a program to
> > use, say, /usr/local/include/{linux,asm}?
>
> Use gcc's -I flag.

Okay, thanks for the pointer.  I can't find any options in
mplayer's ./configure script for this.  I had to hack
./config.mak:

OPTFLAGS = -O4 -march=athlon -mcpu=athlon -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/local/src/linux/include

So maybe this story has a moral to it.  Still, it seems to me
that Debian is doing some non-standard stuff.  <rhetorical> Why
else would the mplayer developers look for their headers by
default in /usr/include/linux/? </rhetorical>

I can see a problem if developers wants to put out a source
package of their latest and greatest program and it wants to link
to the kernel.  Where would they point it to?