Re: Linux Standard Base

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 00:33, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I've been talking to other Linux users in my area (Colorado, USA)
> about their problems with Red Hat dropping their user, non-enterprise,
> distribution. I suggest Debian. I say its really great. But I'm told
> "But it doesn't comply with 'Linux Standard Base' ".

And I say, "yes, but it's slowly moving towards compliance';

Ask them if they *need* LSB compliance *now*, or if it's just a
reason to reject something they don't know anything about.

You could also challenge their manhood and geekitude, cause maybe
they aren't tough enough to handle the command line.

> So what is Linux Standard Base? And who does comply with it? And is

http://www.linuxbase.org/index.php
"The goal of the LSB is to develop and promote a set of standards
that will increase compatability among Linux distributions and enable
software applications to run on any compliant system. In addition,
the LSB will help coordinate efforts to recruit software vendors
to port and write products for Linux."

> this important to Debian? No flames please. If it is something that
> was started by Red Hat, it should hardly matter to those left behind
> in a business model shift.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which
could only have originated in California."
Edsger Dijkstra