Re: NTP packages (was: setting hardware clock from NIST)

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:13:45PM -0800, moseley@hank.org wrote:
> Can someone summarize the different ntp packages?
>
> For example what to run on a server vs. on an internal NAT'ed
> workstation.

I use chrony on all my machines. One machine is my access to the net.
It points to the external stratum 2 server that I use to get the time.
The other machines, which are NATed by the first machine, point to
the first machine and get their time reference from it.

Chrony is a wrapper around ntp, and some code that keeps track of
whether your computer's internal clock runs fast or slow compared to
the ntp server's clock, and adjusts the rate to match the ntp server's
rate. All other options (except pure ntp) are wrappers around
ntp. Some may also adjust the rate of your local clock as
well. Depending on your tastes, one or another may be more to your
liking. I like chrony because, once I got it installed and configured,
it is invisible to me (except that my computers and my 'SkyScan Atomic
Clock' always agree.)

> Or what is best for a dialup ADSL connection vs. full-time connection.
>
> Do all packages provied a daemon?
>

> I'm using both chrony and ntp on various machines, and it seems as if
> they both provide ntp network service (via netstat and lsof), but seems
> like I can run this
>
>    nptdate -d <machine running ntp>
>
> but this fails
>
>    ntpdate -d <machine running chronyd>

Probably the chronyd machine is configured to *not* serve time to other hosts.
Check the 'allow' statements in /etc/chrony/chrony.conf

> But I'm not sure why one works and not the other.
>
> Also, what uses the "time" and "daytime" services provided via inetd?

I don't know about inetd time.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon