Re: Fonts gone in icewm

moseley@hank.org wrote:
> I was going to use "Subject: fsck'ing fonts" due to my ongoing
> frustration with fonts.
>
> I did a dist-upgrade on my sid laptop today and lost fonts in my window
> manager icewm (also lost xmd loging for some reason!!)
>
> I'm using the Infadel2 theme and it uses fonts like:
>
>  TitleFontName = "-artwiz-snap-regular-r-normal-sans-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
>
> Now, this was working fine before.  What I don't know is if in the past
> I actually had this font or if there was some font substitution
> happening.

At this moment, (the Sid version of) icewm seems to be chock-full
of bugs. Apart from the usual window focus problems, you should
regularly check with "top" for x-session-manager processes eating
all your CPU cycles, and kill them by hand. Also, make sure to
regularly remove ~/.xsession-errors, which tends to consume all
your disk space when you run icewm...

The artwiz font file itself is called snap.pcf, in the directory
/usr/share/icewm/themes/Infadel2. To make it available to icewm
you should run (as root) mkfontdir in that directory. This creates
a fonts.dir file. Restart X. Now the artwiz font is known to icewm
but somehow NOT TO X! Icewm apparently has its own font finding
mechanism. So you cannot see the font in xfontsel.

The artwiz font is sort of blocky, square-looking. It is very
clear on high-resolution screens at small pixel sizes. It is NOT
anti-aliased, as you can see with xmag. If you did NOT run
mkfontdir, the artwiz font is unavailable to the present (Sid)
version of icewm. Two things can happen:

-- nothing is shown; blank. This, it seems, is your case.
-- another font is used. This is my case (or was, until I
   discovered the mkfontdir trick). The substitute font is
   anti-aliased, as shown by xmag, but which font it really is, I
   do not know. It is less readable than the artwiz font.

Why the difference between the two cases? I do not know. Also, the
whole situation seems to be very upgrade-dependent (i.e. it can
get better or worse after each apt-get install dist-upgrade).

In the meantime, despite all its bugs, icewm is still my favourite
window manager..

Regards, Jan