Re: file system check, and defrag

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 11:47, Kordula Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> being real new to Debian, and fairly new to Linux, I have the following
> questions -
>
> I have 3.0r1 Woody installed with ext3 file systems and would like to
> periodically check, and then defrag, the file system(s).
>
> 1.  How (and what is the best way) to do this?
> 2.  Other distributions I've had installed, run a file system check at
> bootup.  Why not Debian?
> 3.  How can I setup Debian to check at bootup?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Kordula

Debian runs fsck every several boots just in case and after a crash.
On ext[23] you don't need to run defrag as the filesystem maintains
intself. There is actually a tool floating around for that job but I've
never had of anyone needing or using it.
IIRC (didn't use ext for some time now) at boot or when fsck runs you
get a message about the fragmentation of your system. I never got it
beyond 5% (reiserfs doesn't show this information for some reason).
You should keep about 15%-20% free space on the disk though to let ext
have enough room to move things around when needed to maintain itself
(thats actually true for all file systems. If you run defrag under
windows with less then 15% you will get a warning message).
--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il