Re: setting hardware clock from NIST

hwclock

Haines Brown wrote:

I'm a RedHat refugee, and sometimes I can just transfer things to
debian, and sometimes not.

I have an executable script, "time.rc" which has:
  #! /bin/bash
rdate -s time-b.nist.gov clock -w

I installed rdate, and that seems to work fine to set the system clock
(or at least the system clock jumped to 6 sec from what my local telco
says the time is). However, the "clock" utility, which writes system
time to the hardware clock is native to RedHat.

So my first question is, what is debian's equivalent to "clock". All
it did, with the -w option, was to set the hardware clock from the
system clock. I presume the former is GMT, and so there is a time
offset invoved.
Second, where to put it? I placed a copy of my time.rc into
/etc/init.d, and then created a symlink to it in /etc/rc2.d so that
the hardware clock is reset on boot, and also in /etc/cron.daily, so
that the clocks are reset daily according to NIST. Will this work; is
there a better arrangement?

Haines Brown