Re: Office CUPs setup

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 14:33, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> I have a few cups questions. I have a CUPs printer set up successfully
> on a central server. The central server can print just fine. Now, I want
> 30 or so odd desktops in the office to also use this printer. I had
> assumed you were suppose to set up a local queue on each individual
> machine, which pointed to the remote queue. However, this is not optimal
> at all. I noticed that checking to see what jobs were printing, only
> shows items in the local queue! In a workgroup environment, people would
> want to be able to see what other people are printer, how long they will
> be, or an admin might want to cancel the jobs.
>
> How/is this possible with CUPs? I really feel it should be, and I'm
> missing something important.

I came across this only a day or two ago!
On each workstation, edit the file:
/etc/cups/client.conf
Uncomment the ServerName line, and change it to the IP or hostname of
the server.

There are options in that file that allow automatic detection of CUPS
servers, but I am not familiar with them.

Also, if you are running GNOME, it seems you need to install gnome
versions of some applications to get the automagical CUPS usage. Eg;
apt-get install abiword-gnome

Hope this helps. :)

Regards
Edward