Re: Red Hat

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 12:27, luis.gutierrez@map.es wrote:
> How-to Install kickstart (Red Hat) in debian:
> Como instalar kickstart en debian
> (English & Spanish)
> (Ingles y Español)
>
> I need a machine with red hat for use redhat-config-kickstart? NO !! :-)
[...]

This is timely.  I just got a "Dear John" from Redhat.  Evidently left just in
time.  For those that haven't seen it here is the core of it:

   Dear {your registered name here},

   Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.

   This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
   discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
   migration to another Red Hat solution.

   As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
   errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
   31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
   Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
   another product in the Red Hat Linux line.

   With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
   find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing.
[...]
   If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
   28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
   years for the price of one.)
[to me, that would feel like paying again for what I bought]
[...]
   In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center
[...]
   Find out more about your migration options...
[...]
       http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn

   Or read the FAQ written especially...
[...]
       https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/

   Sincerely,

   Red Hat, Inc.

Dunno why I care really.  I only bought boxed sets of 4.1, 4.2, 7.1, 7.2,
7.3...  and I suppose I would never have got to Debian if I hadn't cut my
teeth on RH.  End of an era, just the same.

--
richard